Monday, March 11, 2013

My Thoughts on Equestria Girls

So there I was, on my laptop. I was going through my normal rounds. It usually goes Youtube, Equestria Daily, DeviantArt,  Facebook, and then TvTropes. Now I went on Equestria Daily expecting some funny comics to read and some cool pictures to look at. I wasn't expecting...this. The picture below sums up my facial reaction...
What you and I are looking at is the Hub's new spin-off show, Equestria Girls. It's going to have the same cast as on Friendship is Magic, but they are in Middle/High school. Now don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly accept humanized ponies. The execution of the design on this show is what bothers me.

Off the bat the thing that bothers me is the skin color. Why are the people in this universe colored so wildly? Have you ever seen a naturally blue person? How about violet? Heres my theory why though. The creators are trying to avoid another flame war. They could of made the characters different ethnicities , but that would upset a lot of people. It still bothers me though...

Another that disturbs me is how they combined the features of the characters on the show with humans. Skin color aside, notice how all the characters have pony ears instead of human ears, their cutie marks on their clothes and cheek (you have to look really close to see the cheek c. mark), and their hair color. They also gave the characters unnaturally long hair to symbolize their tails (I wonder how much dirt and other stuff that must pick up when they walk.). Also for Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy they have wings. My brain is contemplating if these characters are human or some hybrid monstrosity.

Okay. I can see why the character design looks like this. They want people to easily recognize which character is which. Yet, I think they went a little overboard with the characteristics. Really, they could just shorten their hair, give them human ears, remove the wings and cheek cutie marks. Everything else is fine and makes the characters easier for other people to relate to.

When this show does come out, I'm going to watch the episode and see if I like it or not. If I don't like it, I won't watch it. If I do like it, then I'll continue watching it. Simple.

I shall leave you with this happy image. Have a nice day
(Created by chibi-jen-hen)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment